Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Correlation Leads to Consternation

A seemingly common theme purported by medical experts is that there is no scientifically proven correlation between teething and the collective symptoms of runny noses, fevers, and general crankiness.

This is the problem when one's conclusions are based on statistical analysis rather than a fussy baby that one sees every day.

While there may be a whole mean/median thing to it, I believe there is a correlation.  Especially when the coinciding occurrences of fevers, runny noses, and the vomiting that comes from not feeling good and possible nasal drainage going into the stomach curiously seem to accompany new teeth.

Each.  Time.

So based on such statistical evidence, my son has been catching a cold and then getting a new tooth as a result every few months for over a year.  Got it.

In other news that seems unrelated but will eventually converge back into the central point, we had an appointment with an otolaryngologist.  Henry will be scheduled for tubes in his ears because he's been getting ear infections pretty much non-stop since February/March.  It's been so frequent that we know how to store amoxicillin and cefdinir (amoxi in the fridge, cef at room temp) now without the pharmacy tech having to explain it to us.

While the procedure won't eliminate ear infections, it will reduce the frequency, and that alone is a vast improvement.

How this relates to the central theme of selective reliance on medical professionals' opinions and scientific evidence is this.  We have thus far experienced more encounters with medical professionals who don't seem to be as qualified or prepared to deal with children who fall outside the "Normal" spectrum.

And by "normal," I mean kids who fall around the 50th percentile in everything and reach the vast majority of developmental milestones on time or even earlier.

I understand that doctors see a lot of patients every day, so there's little time to dedicate to special cases.  I get it.  In my line of work, I have little to no time to deal with the Linux operating system because the majority of my work centers around the Windows world, and to a smaller extent, Macs.  So if someone comes to me with a Linux problem, I have to refer them to a Linux expert.

But that comes back to the whole irritation that I've had lately with medical professionals.  So my kid doesn't fall into neat and tidy statistical norms.  I get that.  But at least take our concerns a bit more seriously than floundering around in the shoals of Not Knowing How to Deal With This.

I appreciated that the otolaryngologist at least looked up what Fragile X Syndrome is and its effects and symptoms minutes before coming into the exam room to talk to me, but I couldn't help feeling a bit put off by that.  This was apparently the first time he'd ever heard of it or had to look seriously into it because voila, here's a patient in his facility who has this mythical condition.

I appreciate that research studies have carefully analyzed results to determine that there is not strong enough evidence to support a correlation between teething and fever/runny nose/lethargy/nausea.  Yet, despite the lack of statistical evidence, there is anecdotal evidence that it's a possibility or else, would it really be that popular an Internet search?

I'm a fan of statistics, logic, and evidence.  But sometimes, there will be enough observations that fall outside the normal distribution, outside of the n samples, and well into the alpha range (sorry; getting all stats-happy here).  The point is that the numbers on the sheet of paper that studied maybe 300-1000 children don't always adequately explain the one kid sitting and crying in front of you, who has shown an actual observable linked pattern.

I don't expect scientists to be watching Henry every day for the last 15-16 months to develop their hypotheses (and I'd be a little creeped out if they did).  All I ask is for medical professionals to maybe take me slightly more seriously, even if they're constantly deluged by hyperactive hysterical hypochondriac parents more frequently than they see me.

Maybe even let me finish a sentence.  That'd be nice.

I'd like a medical professional to be able to get to know us just a little bit more to understand that we're trying not to be Those Parents.

I try to research problems with my child before approaching the doctor so that I know what information they need.  I troubleshoot professionally, and while perhaps a bit cold to consider it in these terms, I am essentially troubleshooting my boy.

One night in urgent care, I gave the attending physician the level of detail and observations on Henry to where he asked if I was a doctor.  No, I've just answered the same questions from doctors enough times to where I know what questions are going to come next.  I also questioned the nurse's skills in weighing the boy when she declared him to be about 6 lbs. heavier than what I knew him to be.

It was from that moment that I resolved not to be so damn passive.

I have the utmost respect for medical professionals, but it became clear that they're also very prone to making mistakes and that rolling over when I know they've made a mistake just because I'm intimidated by their educational credentials and professional prestige is a bad way to go.  So there's the constant course correction I'm having to make, that consternation.

Balancing their medical expertise with the expertise I have in my son.  How much do I listen to, and how much do I ignore.  Which battles are worth fighting and for how long.

No comments:

Post a Comment