Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Little Milestones

While we await the official test results from Henry's blood test from about a week and a half ago, I noted with extreme joy yesterday and today when Henry seemed to accomplish something that comes normally to "average" kids much earlier.

Yesterday, when I stopped by my office to pick up the Asus Nexus 7 tablet that work had ordered for me (and was delivered late, late, late Friday so I missed the UPS guy), Henry exhibited the first instance of stranger anxiety, when one of my coworkers came up to say "hi."  It wasn't a coincidence because about 5 minutes later when we were out front by the secretary's desk, Henry started whining again when he saw the same coworker.  Although I quickly distracted him by flipping him upside down a few times, I noted the significance of this, despite feeling bad for my coworker who made my son cry.

The second thing occurred this morning.  While I sat next to his crib as he quietly played, he rolled onto his front and reached up with one hand to the top of the rail.  I saw his arm tense, as if he was just trying to figure out how to pull himself up.  It only lasted a millisecond and he went back to what he was doing before that, but that was another significant moment in development that I was overjoyed to see.

UPDATE: Forgot to add that, this morning, while I was rubbing his back, he was drawing up his legs into a frog-like position and then kicking back, as if trying to propel himself forward. He hasn't crawled yet, so if this was an indicator, it was nice to see as well.  Most of the time, he lays flat on his stomach and thrashes his limbs around like he's swimming. I've surmised that this is his attempt to crawl, but his low muscle tone means that his nerves aren't firing his muscles the way they need to coordinate that movement.

No comments:

Post a Comment