Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Another Chapter in "Fragile What?"

Yesterday was Henry's surgery to get tubes in his ears.  One of the many nurses came up for her turn to ask the same questions -- his name?  his DOB?  do you know why we're here?  are you his parents? is he on any medication? -- and got to the part where she had to confirm any other issues or conditions not covered in the "normal" range of questions.  As such, she was ready to blow past the question and move on to the next step.

The question was "any other issues?  No developmental delays, he's walking and crawling....."

*sudden screech of tires*

Us: "Uh, actually, yes.  He has Fragile X Syndrome, so he's got some developmental delays."

*pause*

The nurse was clearly not expecting anyone to actually answer this question in the positive, so her reflexive routine and memorized script were thrown off.

Her: "Oh, is that the one where his bones can break easily.....?"

*brief stunned silence -- tide goes in, tide goes out, you can't explain that *

What we said:
"No, it's a genetic condition that's related to autism, though he's not yet been diagnosed as autistic...." (and then continued with the usual litany of FXS characteristics)

What I thought in my head:
"No, sweetheart, that's osteogenesis imperfecta; just because the word 'fragile' is involved doesn't make a leap to a conclusion appropriate."
My private thought was rather sarcastic, so I was glad that I was looking down and playing with Henry instead while Lori handled the explanation.

It's getting to the point where we're encountering so many medical professionals who don't know what Fragile X is or have heard of it that I'm tempted to carry a box of pamphlets with me so that the people who are being tasked (and paid) to provide care for my children get educated in what to expect and how to deal with it.

I also don't know if my attitude is a result of looking to pick a fight, of expecting to have to explain FXS to people who, one would think, should know more than I do.  But so far, the percentages are not in favor of the medical professionals.

No comments:

Post a Comment